For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Thursday 2 September 2010

Hornets

Hornets have been entering my enclosed compost bin after apple peelings and buzzing around my grapes.  At this time of year though they are starting to drop dead.  So I could place the above corpses against a cm ruler.
Their bodies are straight when flying, so appear larger than these dead ones.
They are rather beautiful insects, don't you agree?
Click on the above picture to check out the sting on the creature on the right.  I disturbed it whilst it was still alive which  prompted its stinging action.  The sting remained extended in death.
I apologise for the cobwebs on the stinging hornet.  Housework is not my first priority!

No comments:

Blog Archive