Thursday, 28 April 2016
Wednesday, 27 April 2016
Sunday, 17 April 2016
Solitary bees: Hairy-footed Flower Bee, Anthophora plumipes & the cleptoparasitic Common Mourning Bee, Melecta albifrons in a Cuckfield garden this week in West Sussex, UK.
This female Hairy-footed Flower Bee's legs appear to be covered in yellow Cowslip pollen. Cowslips flourish in my unmown lawn, which is a profusion of yellow at present.
She will be making a nest somewhere to lay her eggs, which will be threatened by the Common Mourning Bee, Melecta albifrons below.
Source: Field Guide to the Bees of Great Britain and Ireland by Steven Falk.
For anyone responsible for finding public speakers, please see http://www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk/page15.html
Wednesday, 13 April 2016
Nests are aerial and generally exposed, usually hanging from trees or bushes.
Source: http://www.bwars.com/content/beginners-bees-wasps-ants-dolichovespula-media Bees, Wasps & Ants Recording Society
Tuesday, 12 April 2016
If you are looking for talks on natural history in Sussex, e.g. bees, please see my web site at http://www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk/page15.html
Monday, 11 April 2016
Sunday, 10 April 2016
Shabden Park was glorious this afternoon with newly born lambs and their mothers. And lots of dung means lots of yellow dung flies, Scathophaga stercoraria.
click to expand pictures
Above a mating pair.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scathophaga_stercoraria
Thursday, 7 April 2016
A nature walk in The Netherlands: Red-tailed bumblebee on Butterbur, Great tits, Willow tits and hundreds of Barnacle, Greylag and Egyptian geese.
She was carrying a number of mites, which is a common phenomenon and apparently they are not feeding on her per se, rather hitching a lift to her new nest where they will live and feed.
On the meadows were an estimated thousand geese an this few miles walk along the riverside.
Barnacle geese above.
Just one of scores of Great-crested grebe on the river.
A steam tug by the lock in Gorinchem.
- ► 2019 (57)
- ► 2018 (61)
- ► 2017 (68)
- Promiscuity in a Cuckfield wild-flower garden
- Oh I do like to be beside the seaside... with Earl...
- Solitary bees: Hairy-footed Flower Bee, Anthophora...
- Median wasp queen in Cuckfield garden, West Sussex...
- A healthy breakfast of flowering plum flowers for ...
- White-tailed bumblebee queen on Fritillaria meleag...
- Male Tawny Minig Bee in a Sussex garden this after...
- Scathophaga stercoraria, commonly known as the yel...
- A nature walk in The Netherlands: Red-tailed bumbl...
- Enjoy the mauve colours in Sussex woods before the...
- ▼ April (10)
- ► 2015 (86)
- ► 2014 (86)
- ► 2013 (95)
- ► 2012 (130)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (54)