here at Mid Sussex Ramblers), the route was checked out today.
The Friends of Wolstonbury have tackled this encroachment under the direction of National Trust ranger, Mike Botterill. This day I visited the area which has been cleared in recent month. My hope was to see dormant orchids flowering but to no avail.
For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk
For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk
Monday, 29 April 2019
Early-purple orchids on the South Downs of Sussex today.
Some birds on Wostonbury Hill today; Yellowhammers, Skylarks, a Kite and a Buzzard
https://www.sos.org.uk/recent-sightings as flying eastwards [to Wolstonbury perhaps?].
Fornicating flies, Bibio anglicus
Friday, 26 April 2019
Hoverfly, Eupeodes luniger on Cornflower in West Sussex,UK
Friday, 19 April 2019
Osmia caerulescens, Blue Mason Bees yesterday in West Sussex.
Thursday, 18 April 2019
Orange-tip butterflies enticed into a Sussex garden. Patience is rewarded.
https://butterfly-conservation.org, several crucifers are used as caterpillar foodplants, especially Cuckooflower (Cardamine pratensis), above in my garden and Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata), which were also selectively allow to grow.
Today and yesterday a male has been flying around.
This big headed bee is yet to be identified.
Some observations of the evolution of the garden over decades is illustrated in a talk,
The evolution of a formal garden to a nature reserve – how to enjoy a garden more with less effort!
It is described at http://www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk/page19.html
Tuesday, 16 April 2019
Toothwort, Lathraea squamaria in Surrey
See http://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:662054-1 for detailed info'.
Saturday, 13 April 2019
Some bees in a Sussex garden this week
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)
- ► 2021 (30)
- ► 2020 (37)
- Beefly on Ground Ivy on the Sussex Downs
- Early-purple orchids on the South Downs of Sussex ...
- Some birds on Wostonbury Hill today; Yellowhammers...
- Fornicating flies, Bibio anglicus
- Hoverfly, Eupeodes luniger on Cornflower in West S...
- Osmia caerulescens, Blue Mason Bees yesterday in W...
- Orange-tip butterflies enticed into a Sussex garde...
- Toothwort, Lathraea squamaria in Surrey
- Some bees in a Sussex garden this week
- Nuthatches observed from my kitchen on 11 April 2019
- Native Orchids on a walk to Paderne Castillo, Alga...
- Growing rice in Sussex
- ▼ April (12)
- ► 2018 (61)
- ► 2017 (68)
- ► 2016 (86)
- ► 2015 (86)
- ► 2014 (86)
- ► 2013 (95)
- ► 2012 (130)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (88)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (54)