Sunday, 26 July 2015
Thursday, 23 July 2015
Butterflies of Ashdown Forest; Large skipper on Wood sage, Teucrium scorodonia, Small skippers and Gatekeepers.
Butterflies yesterday on Ashdown Forest included scores of Large skippers, Ochlodes venatus, above on Wood sage, Teucrium scorodonia.
Friday, 17 July 2015
Look out for variations in their petal form
The combination of the orchid with Common Restharrow is wonderful to admire.
Thursday, 16 July 2015
The "Pride of Sussex" -- the County flower of Sussex, blooming now on the South Downs. And Pyramidal Orchids are at their prime as well.
It is lovely to see the Round-headed Rampion, the "Pride of Sussex" flowering again.
Pyramidal Orchids were in peak condition, below being a nectar source for a Marbled White butterfly.
The profusion of seeded Yellow Rattle and numerous other flowering plants is spectacular at the moment.
Listen and look carefully and you will also see Grasshoppers and Crickets.
Its behavior sugested that it was laying eggs. The sunflowers are crawling with aphids giving plenty for the hover-fly larvae to graze on.
Tuesday, 14 July 2015
The amazing mating wheel of the Common Blue Damselfly; captured crisply with a Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 zoom lens.
The tandem position where the male has grabbed the female by the neck.
From the tandem position, the female curled her abdomen round to engage with the male in the heart-shaped mating circle.
Sunday, 12 July 2015
Click here for more info' on the Downy Emerald. Thanks Adrian.
Click on any picture to expand it.
Click here for more info' on the British Dragonfly Society and these amazing insects.
And click here for details of the National Trust's Wakehurst Place.
My illustrated nature talks now include a module on Damselflies and Dragonflies. For more info' on my talks please click here
Friday, 10 July 2015
For booking details, please see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk for a public speaker with years of experience in illustrated and annotated presentations
- ► 2016 (87)
- Ichneumon wasp, Protichneumon pisorius among an or...
- Butterflies of Ashdown Forest; Large skipper on Wo...
- Pyramidal Orchids flowering on the South Downs of ...
- The "Pride of Sussex" -- the County flower of Suss...
- Tiny Hover-fly laying eggs on sunflower
- The amazing mating wheel of the Common Blue Damsel...
- Male Downy Emerald Dragonfly at Wakehurst Place, W...
- Banded Demoiselle, Calopteryx splendens by a strea...
- Seven Dragonfly and Damselfly species counted on W...
- Tree Damsel bug, Himacerus apterus in a chemical-f...
- ▼ July (10)
- ► 2014 (86)
- ► 2013 (95)
- ► 2012 (130)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (54)