Thursday, 21 June 2018
Tuesday, 19 June 2018
On the 20 June 2018 the bee has now blocked the nest with a plug of leaves. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=829 for more info' from RHS.
Click any picture to expand it.
And for a public speaker on bees..... please see http://www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk/page15.html
Friday, 15 June 2018
Common Twayblade with convolvulus above and Common-spotted orchid below.
See also http://www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk/orchids.html Click on any picture to expand it.
Tuesday, 12 June 2018
click the video to see the flashing wings ritual.
Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Thursday, 7 June 2018
Styrax japonica is a flowering small tree loved by bumblebees at this time of year. It was while looking specifically for Red-tailed cuckoo bees that I spotted a much rarer creature -- a Jumping spider, Salticus zebraneus.
Britain's Spiders (ISBN 978-0-691-16529-5 by Bee, Oxford and Smith) https://press.princeton.edu/titles/10987.html describes it as nationally and regionally scarce on trunks of old trees. It hides in cracks in the bark only appearing at the surface in warm, sunny conditions as it was yesterday.
|Jumping spider in my kitchen on 19August 2017|
I didn't find the Cuckoo bumblebee that I hoped to see but this spider was yet more interesting.
Spiders are amazing creatures and worthy of a closer look.
They are presented in an illustrated talk, "Spiders: fascinating and worthy of a closer look" at http://www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk/page14.html
Click on any picture to expand it.
Wednesday, 6 June 2018
The pollen that was scraped off initially.
- Knepp Castle, West Sussex, Purple Emperor butterfl...
- Wool Carder Bee, Anthidium manicatum, Leafcutter B...
- Seven orchid species on a South Downs walk yesterd...
- Rebuffed advances in a garden pond from a handsome...
- Jumping spider, Salticus zebraneus in Cuckfield, W...
- Pollen: too much of a good thing sometimes.
- It is the females that do all the work and get thi...
- Fledgling birds in Cuckfield, West Sussex UK
- Some insects of the Loder valley yesterday: Mayfl...
- Warbler in the Loder valley, Wakehurst, yesterday ...
- Common-spotted orchid appears in my wildlife garde...
- ▼ June (11)
- ► 2017 (68)
- ► 2016 (87)
- ► 2015 (86)
- ► 2014 (86)
- ► 2013 (95)
- ► 2012 (130)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (54)