For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Thursday 16 July 2015

Tiny Hover-fly laying eggs on sunflower

 This tiny Hover-fly caught my eye as it was so small and unknown to me.
 I can find nothing like it in my books, so any suggestions as to what it is are very welcomed.
Its behavior sugested that it was laying eggs.  The sunflowers are crawling with aphids giving plenty for the hover-fly larvae to graze on. 


 Here it is on a "Queen of Denmark" rose.
Help please!

2 comments:

ADRIAN said...

It looks like a female Syrphus ribessi or similar. There is a similar shaped one that is smaller and is white where this one is yellow. Too fast for me is the black and white one.

Sussexrambler said...

Thanks for that Adrian. Best regards Peter

Blog Archive