For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Saturday 7 May 2011

Great Spotted Woodpecker attacking a Blue tit's nest box

It looks like I will need to invest in some new nest boxes next year with a metal entrance hole.  This woodpecker was hammering away at the nest box entrance and pulling out the nest material this morning.  Click on any picture to expand it.
I was away for some days and on my return the box was wrecked.
The baby birds had gone.
A concrete box sounds like a good idea.
And now in 2016, I have made a solution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, this is happening to our bluetit's box with the babies inside. They must be nearly ready to go but the woodpecker has made the hole bigger. Is there anything we can do to stop it taking the young birds?

Sussexrambler said...

Commercially produced nest boxes may have a metal plate around the entrance hole to stop woodpeckers enlarging it to eat the fledglings.
I may buy such ones or I am thinking of ways to make some from concrete, which is not as daft as it sounds!

Blog Archive