For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Monday 11 May 2015

A Hornet, Vespa crabro, at Wakehurst Place today

 Opening the magnetically locked (numerical code operated) gate from the Loder Valley back into Wakehurst Place, imagine the surprise to be face-to face with a Hornet.
 What to do?  Well take some pic's for sure.  How beautiful you are with your five eyes; two compound and your three ocelli, simple eyes.

 And say "Hi!  Please don't sting me if I just place my fingers near you for an idea of scale."
Hornets have a powerful sting, yet are reckoned to be less aggressive that other wasps.  Had I known that at the time it could have walked on my hand.  But I was cautious of the unknown then.

1 comment:

ADRIAN said...

That is a wonderful find. They are both impressive and attractive.

Blog Archive