More than 1,500 slugs have been "organically controlled" in my garden in the last ten days using no chemicals or beer. I use what I call the "Marie Antoinette method" using a powerful torch and dedicated pair of scissors after dark.
They are carnivorous. Once a carcass is left on the lawn, there is almost a geometric progression of slugs returning in the following nights, which builds up to quite a heap. You no longer have to go looking for them. They assemble at the execution points waiting for you.
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18672728 for slug news today.
The carcasses dry out -- eventually and almost disappear. Foxes don't seem to eat the dead slugs. And there are no longer hedgehogs to do so, as badgers have eaten them all. I'll spare you any pictures.
Wednesday, 4 July 2012
- ► 2020 (37)
- ► 2019 (57)
- ► 2018 (61)
- ► 2017 (68)
- ► 2016 (86)
- ► 2015 (86)
- ► 2014 (86)
- ► 2013 (95)
- Dark green Fritillary butterfly
- A Joyeous walk on the South Downs above Amberley, ...
- Foxes relaxing by the pool
- An unusual White Scabious sp.
- Chalkhill blue butterflies today on the Seven Sist...
- Living with foxes... & without bonfires.
- Silver-washed Fritillary, Argynnis paphia
- Aphid control by Harlequin Ladybird larvae
- A windy day on The Caburn and Pride of Sussex.
- An unusual dual-coloured Pyramidal Orchid on The C...
- The "Pride of Sussex", Round-headed Rampion, the C...
- Clustered Bellflowers near Burpham, West Sussex
- Violet Helleborines, Epipactis purpurata are emerg...
- Bird's-nest Orchid, Neottia nidus-avis today at Bo...
- Marbled White butterflies, Melanargia galathea, at...
- Dark Mullein at Juniper Bottom, Surrey today
- Southern Marsh-orchid at Royal St. George's Golf c...
- Lizard Orchids in Kent
- Bee orchids on the Downs today
- Famous Opera singer, François Piolino, snapped pho...
- Organic slug control; the "Marie Antoinette method"
- Light Emerald Moth, Campaea margaritata
- Kittiwakes on Seaford to East Dean walk
- ▼ July (24)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (89)
- ► 2009 (65)
- ► 2008 (54)